Those competition gloves are the perfect concentration of technology and performance in order to offer the ultimate protection for the riders that like speed. I had the opportunity to put them to the test, on track. And despite their stratospheric price, these are possibly the best racing gloves on the market.
The package is there. On my desk. Sublime! A red and black box, with a finish imitating the carbon fiber decorated with the iconic FIVE logo. A packaging that immediately enhances the product. While opening the package I had a second surprise! I discovered a beautiful mesh fabric cover flocked with the logo of the brand in which the RFX Race are stored, away from light and dust. Like a jewel in its case! There is no need to say, FIVE knows how to make a big impression.
For those who do not know the company FIVE ADVANCED GLOVES, it is an equipment manufacturer installed in the south-east of France, in the suburbs of Avignon. FIVE – for the 5 fingers of the hand or the V of Victory – is a brand that manufactures exclusively motorcycle and bike gloves. No jacket, no suit, no boots. Gloves. Nothing but gloves. Suffice to say that the Vaucluse company has undeniable expertise in the field.
Before the release of the RFX Race, there were the RFX1, also competition gloves. A top-of-the-range model comparable to the best racing gloves on the market, appreciated by both riders and sports drivers for its quality and comfort. I have owned several pairs that I have been completely satisfied with.
But with the RFX Race, we cross another course. We enter the field of superlatives: supreme quality, sublime design, irreproachable manufacture and unparalleled protection. RFX Race is serious. They emit an impression of incredible quality and a hint of performance difficult to catch in default. When you put them on for the first time, you have the feeling of becoming a top pilot. We undergo a metamorphosis.
Developed in Grand Prix, the FIVE RFX Race gloves are worn by many drivers including Sam Lowes, Karel Abraham, Michele Pirro in MotoGP, Jeremy Guarnoni in WSBK, Jules Cluzel in WSSP, Florian Marino in STK1000 or Julien Da Costa, Fabien Foret and Sébastien Gimbert in endurance.
I could present them in detail for pages, but that’s not the purpose of this evaluation chronicle. For an in-depth presentation, check out our technical article or watch FIVE’s video. Both are eloquent.
Designed for high performance, the RFX Race is, according to the manufacturer, the most protective gloves and the lightest on the market. They currently offer the highest level of resistance to abrasion that can be demanded of competition gloves, an area where the falls are as numerous as they are spectacular.
In addition to being effective and protective, the FIVE RFX Race gloves offer a very successful design and a large choice of colors, which allows them to match our equipment and our bike.
During the 2018 season, I wore my FIVE RFX Race gloves during many circuit trips, especially when making contact with the BMW HP4 Race. Each time, I was surprised by their efficiency and quality. And the sense of security they provide. And, no offense to the grumpy, their price, albeit high, is justified in view of their construction and their superlative quality. An excellent product!
- Goat leather palm
- External seams of the fingers
- Handle area covered with non-slip Pittard leather
- Protective palm reinforcement with two layers of Kevlar lined cow leather on the inside with extension for wrist protection
- Carbon fiber sliding shell
- Secondary cushion padded Kevlar palm
- Kevlar seams
- Adjustable elastic wrist with Velcro and TPR tongue
- Long padded adjustable cuff
- Stretch Kevlar lining
- Outdoor goat leather, Powernet and Kevlar extensible
- Padded finger protection shell in anti-twist elastic leather for ring and ear
- Protective shell of PU and ventilated carbon fiber knuckles
- Fork of the leather and Powernet fingers
- Articulations of the forefinger and middle finger in elastic and stretchy leather
- Kevlar wrist protection
- Padded metacarp protector with carbon fiber air extractor
- Long leather cuff covered with TPR with Velcro closure
- Sizes: from XS to 3 XL
- Colors: black / white – black / red – white / black – yellow / white – blue / white
Photos : Didier Constant, Pierre Desilets, FIVE